AUT is the fastest growing and second largest university in New Zealand. We have been a university since 2000, but a place of learning for 120 years and operate in accordance with the Education Act (1989).
‘Committed to global engagement’
AUT opened in 1895 as New Zealand’s leading Institute of Technology. Recognised for its globally competitive research, teaching, scholarship, creativity and innovation, it earned university status in 2000.
Why choose AUT University
AUT is a modern New Zealand university focusing on student success, industry connections and innovative research in areas such as biotechnology, artificial intelligence and nutrition. It is ranked in the top 2% in the world by Times Higher Education 2017 and in the world's 50 leading universities under 50 years old. More than 30,000 educators, researchers and students come to AUT to test boundaries, challenge established theories, break new ground and discover new possibilities.
AUT degrees are taught by renowned academics. They are recognised internationally and are accredited by the New Zealand Government.
Degree programmes and faculties
AUT has five faculties and a choice of more than 250 degree programmes.
Five faculties at AUT:
- Business, Economics & Law
- Culture & Society
- Design & Creative Technologies
- Health & Environmental Sciences
- Maori Development
Creating highly employable graduates
AUT students are encouraged to make contacts, grow their networks and engage in work experience while studying. Degree programmes are designed in line with industry to ensure they reflect current and future workforce needs, and guest lecturers provide insights into current market trends. This approach produces highly employable graduates who are in demand. Worldwide, over 80,000 AUT alumni are working in some of the most influential and creative companies.
Large and vibrant student community
With more than 30,000 students, AUT is the second largest university in New Zealand and the fastest growing. It is committed to internationalism and the value of international students.
Outstanding facilities and services
New Zealand’s youngest university, AUT has modern, world-class facilities. Classes are small and interactive, and students have access to outstanding services.
AUT campus locations
AUT University rankings
- One of the top 2% of universities worldwide (Times Higher Education 2017)
- Five star ranking in Teaching, Employability, Internationalisation, Facilities and Inclusiveness (QS World University Rankings 2018)
- More than 4,000 international students from 95 different countries
- Most international university in NZ, and 12th in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016)
- Several subjects are ranked in the world’s best, including:
- Hospitality - ranked 35, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018
- Sports - ranked 42, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018